“Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers.
Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?
It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. Yes, the entitlement state has expanded, but America remains one of the hardest-working nations on earth. Americans work longer hours than just about anyone else. Americans believe in work more than almost any other people. Ninety-two percent say that hard work is the key to success, according to a 2009 Pew Research Survey.
It says that Romney doesn’t know much about the political culture. Americans haven’t become childlike worshipers of big government. On the contrary, trust in government has declined. The number of people who think government spending promotes social mobility has fallen.
The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.
Romney’s comments also reveal that he has lost any sense of the social compact. In 1987, during Ronald Reagan’s second term, 62 percent of Republicans believed that the government has a responsibility to help those who can’t help themselves. Now, according to the Pew Research Center, only 40 percent of Republicans believe that.
The Republican Party, and apparently Mitt Romney, too, has shifted over toward a much more hyperindividualistic and atomistic social view — from the Reaganesque language of common citizenship to the libertarian language of makers and takers. There’s no way the country will trust the Republican Party to reform the welfare state if that party doesn’t have a basic commitment to provide a safety net for those who suffer for no fault of their own.
The final thing the comment suggests is that Romney knows nothing about ambition and motivation. The formula he sketches is this: People who are forced to make it on their own have drive. People who receive benefits have dependency.
But, of course, no middle-class parent acts as if this is true. Middle-class parents don’t deprive their children of benefits so they can learn to struggle on their own. They shower benefits on their children to give them more opportunities — so they can play travel sports, go on foreign trips and develop more skills.
People are motivated when they feel competent. They are motivated when they have more opportunities. Ambition is fired by possibility, not by deprivation, as a tour through the world’s poorest regions makes clear.”
- mandymighty reblogged this from darkjez
- miike888888 likes this
- mymarketingfile likes this
- kitcallahanfox84 likes this
- duskie78 reblogged this from kateoplis
- duskie78 likes this
- taybabe79 likes this
- indeed-chartis-boston-insurance reblogged this from kateoplis and added:
- indeed-chartis-boston-insurance likes this
- riotfreakface reblogged this from kateoplis
- creepyold-kit-hands likes this
- ladykatana4544 reblogged this from whatgodzillasaidtogod
- whatgodzillasaidtogod reblogged this from kateoplis
- santorumforgop likes this
- nefitch likes this
- dudenaz reblogged this from kateoplis
- skylaatbaby likes this
- emological reblogged this from kateoplis
- onlychildproblemz likes this
- jesiikach reblogged this from kateoplis
- yvmileth reblogged this from kateoplis
- yvmileth likes this
- cybergata likes this
- katelynrichelle reblogged this from caitlacoop
- katelynrichelle likes this
- justthewayyoulikeit reblogged this from kateoplis
- artsewpsconundrum likes this
- unexplainablehallucinations likes this
- thande likes this
- macmankev likes this
- kosmoskrap reblogged this from kateoplis
- caitlacoop reblogged this from kateoplis and added:
- ithrowthingswhenidrink likes this
- californiacascade reblogged this from kateoplis
- therodentqueen likes this
- aboriginalpressnews reblogged this from kateoplis
- greekin reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- progressivepolitics reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- goodcleanchristianfun likes this
- juststopwithyourfacesalready likes this
- altidude likes this
- katherinesaysall likes this
- flystalker likes this
- dendroica likes this
- gabriyell-glam reblogged this from kateoplis
- tiggaface reblogged this from kateoplis
- tiggaface likes this
- justhayleyann reblogged this from kateoplis
- codymaniac reblogged this from kateoplis
- nowaysiguey likes this